One More Thing...

One More Thing...

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Help Me Help You Help Me

A few days ago I was called in to strike a set for a production of Harold Pinter's "Betrayal." On the whole an entirely awful production. Fluctuating accents, irregular blocking, stimulating sexual acts. A "strike" is when one deconstructs a set or set pieces of a particular show in order to make room for the next. Another important element to this story is that I built a good portion of this set myself. The wind was bitter on my walk to the theater. Knowing I was going to participate in the organized destruction of the very sin I helped commit kept me warm. Upon arrival, I found the stage to be empty, the floor swept, and Tim sitting in the first row of seats sipping a cup of coffee. "You can go home Clamence." DAMNIT. So I left.
Now I had to walk back to my stinking home without any anticipation to keep me cozy!
Damnit damnit damnit I HAVE TO REPENT SOMEHOW I thought as I hugged my jacket tighter.
And then fate presented me with a gift. The gift of a small, lost, asian man in an Audi with heated leather seats and a purring engine. My god, here is my chance at last. I rushed towards the car, all in a hurry, making sure there were others to see me, calling "Sir may I be of any assistance?!" The man turns to look and invents a smile. One look at that face and I knew. I walked up slowly.
"Oh so you're looking for a restaurant nearby?" I suppose I could tell you where it is now and hope that you have a good memory, but, and without sounding intrusive, I could show you myself if you would be so kind as to let me into the car. Upon allowing this, a warmth filled my body. But it did not come from the heated seats. It came from within, knowing that I was doing an act of kindness with which I could write about and tell later to others when my face needed saving. I am a good person. I am a good person. HAHA! I showed the idiot where this restaurant was, not one mile away from our location.
He drops me off a farther distance from my dorm than where I started off. But it didn't matter! I had a story! The world saw me tip my hat and console the village idiot!
The day was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment